Search This Blog

Friday, December 22, 2017

Tchaikovsky, The Nutcracker, Marinsky Orchestra, Valery Gergiev

When I was a little kid, my Dad knew nothing much about classical music, but he did know Tchaikovsky, so we had an LP of the New York Philharmonic doing his 5th Symphony, and then around the holidays we had a recording of the Nutcracker (the Suite, actually) and he put it on every year. I was completely taken by it.

When I became a man, whatever that is supposed to mean, I too had a recording of the Nutcracker (complete ballet) and it remains music that I respond to in the same way I did when I was young. The version I had was so-so. Now in the mail I have gotten a much better performance, a very fine performance by the Marinsky Orchestra (Marinsky 0593-LP) in a deluxe, high quality vinyl two-LP set. One record is in green, the other red. (Please ignore the above cover image's mention of Sym No. 4. It is the only image of the cover I could find online. Must be the CD version.)

It is a great last minute gift for someone on your list, or for that matter yourself. The music is handled with love and respect. There is a rather glorious sonority and the warmth of an excellent analog production. And of course there is perhaps no better way to experience Tchaikovsky's remarkable melodic gift.

I grew up when shiny new LPs were an integral part of the holidays.  So it takes me back. But then I have never abandoned vinyl, so there is a place for it in my stacks. The point though is you. If you have a turntable again or you never did NOT have one, it is equally welcome.

It easily fits in with your celebratory home rituals, whatever they might be. So grab it if it sounds right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment